The brownish or reddish marks left on the skin after the disappearance of acne are referred to as acne scars. Often triggered by frequent pressing or picking of acne, the unsightly marks could be treated with lemon juice. When combined with other natural products, you can expect faster results, protecting the skin from getting affected again with acne.
How Does Lemon Juice Help Acne Scars
- The skin lightening effects of lemon juice coming from the presence of vitamin C help in fading the marks.
- Having exfoliating properties due to its citric acid content make the skin softer, reducing the scars.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Getting Rid of Acne Scars
- Squeeze a whole lemon to extract the juice.
- Apply it over the scars with a cotton ball.
- Rinse off the skin with lukewarm water after 5 minutes, and pat dry.
- Follow the remedy on a daily basis till the scars disappear.
Note: Those with sensitive skin might experience redness and itching upon application. In such cases, its use should be immediately discontinued.
Diluted Lemon Juice
- Combine equal amounts of lemon juice and water, and apply it on the affected parts using a cotton ball.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes, wash off, and dry.
Note: You can use 1/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in place of water to dilute the lemon juice.
Lemon Juice and Honey Mask
Since honey exhibits antibacterial activity, its use could help in preventing the growth of bacteria responsible for causing acne as well.
- Soak a clean cloth in warm water and cover the face with it for a while.
- Squeeze the juice of half lemon and mix with 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Smear the face with the mixture and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off the face mask with cool water and pat dry.
Do it two times a week to get rid of the scars.
Alternative Method: You can add the juice of basil leaves (4 to 5), 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel, or a combination of 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the mixture to remove the scars and even out the skin tone.
Lemon Juice and Almond Oil
- Prepare a mixture of 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice, almond oil, and honey. Add 2 tablespoons of milk to it and mix well.
- Dab the mixture gently on areas affected with scars, and let it dry for 20 minutes.
- Wash off the skin with water and pat dry with a towel.
The moisturizing effects of almond oil additionally aid in keeping the skin smooth and free of scars.
Lemon Juice and Egg White
- Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 egg white in a blender and mix.
- Massage the mixture over the affected skin and allow it to dry overnight.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
For best results, the combination should be applied every day.
Lemon Juice and Sandalwood Powder
Apart from possessing skin-lightening properties, sandalwood powder curbs the growth of bacteria preventing repeated occurrence of acne.
- Blend 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and sandalwood powder, and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Apply on the scars and let it dry for 30 minutes.
- Wash off and pat dry.
Lemon Juice and Baking Soda
- Prepare a paste of 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and baking soda and dab over the scar-affected regions of the skin with a cotton ball.
- Let it dry and then rinse off.
Follow it two times a week to get rid of the unsightly marks.
Alternately, you can use either rosewater or 3 drops of tea tree oil instead of baking soda to help lighten the scars and moisturize the skin. However, you should wash it off the next day and apply a moisturizer.
Note: After cleaning, massaging the skin with olive oil and washing off with lukewarm water is believed to have positive effects.
Lemon Juice and Cucumber Juice
While cucumber juice can fade acne scars, it also aids in tightening the pores of the skin.
- Peel a cucumber and chop into small pieces. Put them in a blender and mix well.
- Use a cotton ball to apply it to the affected regions and allow drying for 20 minutes. Wash it off.
Lemon Juice, Sugar, and Salt
- Combine 1 teaspoon each of lemon juice and sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and gently massage the skin in circular motions.
- Rinse it off with water after 10 minutes.
The method should be followed thrice every week to get positive results.
Precautionary Measures to Be Taken
- As lemon juice can make the skin photosensitive, you need to wait for 30 minutes before going out in the sun post application.
- Use a moisturizer after each application to prevent itching, dryness, and redness.
- Refrain from applying it on open wounds that often occurs as a result of picking acne.
- Excessive use should be avoided as lemon juice is believed to affect the pH balance of the skin by soaking up the natural oils.