Neem oil is a quick and easy solution for hair problems including dandruff and split ends. Because of its medicinal properties, it has been an integral part of traditional Ayurvedic medicine.
Is Neem Oil Good for Hair
According to a study, as done on a group of 12 children, neem based shampoo has a remarkable effect on lice infected hair. The lice were incubated in neem shampoo for ten minutes, which killed them all, making it easier to draw a conclusion for scientists that neem oil works.
Benefits of Neem Oil for Hair
- Reducing dandruff – With its anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties, neem oil reduces the dandruff-causing Candida fungus, along with skin irritation and scalp inflammation associated with dandruff.
- Treating lice – An insecticidal ingredient, azadirachtin, found in neem oil prevents head lice.
- Smoothing frizzy and curly hair – Several fatty acids like stearic, linoleic, and oleic, with glycerides of neem oil, protect the skin moisture, thus conditioning your frizzy hair, repairing split ends often caused by hair styling products.
- Thickening hair – The anti-oxidant properties of neem oil prevent scalp and hair problems like hair thinning caused by free radicals. Also, the regenerative properties promote hair growth by triggering hair follicle production.
- Treating eczema – Its sulfur content prevents eczema and psoriasis. Also, the anti-inflammatory compound nimbidin is good for relieving itchiness and redness of scalp during eczema.
- Preventing gray hair – Neem oil prevents premature hair graying caused by hormonal imbalance or hair related problems.
How to Use Neem Oil
For Hair Growth
Pure Neem Oil
Apply neem oil on your wet hair (from scalp to strand) and massage gently. You may also cover the head with a moderately warm towel for around twenty minutes afterward. Use cold pressed organic neem oil for better results.
With Other Oils
Mix neem oil, with a carrier like jojoba oil, along with lavender oil, and apply on your hair. Massage for around ten minutes, leaving overnight. Wash off in the morning.
Neem Pack for Hair
Blend 3 tablespoons of neem oil, coconut oil, and amla oil each, with 1 tablespoon of honey to make a pack. Apply on your hair and leave overnight. Rinse off with shampoo next morning.
For Removing Dandruff
As Neem Shampoo
Mix ½ teaspoon of neem oil to your shampoo and apply. Leave it on for 3-5 minutes to smoothen dry frizzy hair. Then wash it off as you do with normal shampoo.
With Other Oils
- A mixture containing neem, rosemary/basil, and tea tree oil in equal proportions can be applied to your hair as well. Let it stay for around two hours and then wash off with shampoo.
- Apply neem and olive oil mixture on your scalp for around twenty minutes before taking a bath with your shampoo. This mixture works as a wonderful hair conditioner.
- Make a paste with one cup of curd and a few drops of neem oil to apply on your scalp. Wash off after twenty minutes.
One disadvantage of using neem oil on your hair is the pungent smell it leaves behind. But, shampooing properly afterward takes care of this problem.
Safety and Precaution
Always perform a patch test to make sure you are not allergic to it. Women who are trying to conceive or are pregnant may experience certain serious side effects due to accidental ingestion of neem oil.