In many cases, painful bowel movements have been associated with hemorrhoids that refer to swollen blood vessels located in the lower rectum or around the anus, causing severe discomfort, burning and itching. As an alternative remedy, witch hazel is believed to be effective for shrinking hemorrhoids, providing relief from itching and irritation around the anal region.
Is Witch Hazel Good for Hemorrhoids
How Does it Help
- Besides showing antiseptic action, the astringent properties of witch hazel is attributed to hamelotannin responsible for shrinking the hemorrhoids and preventing bleeding.
- Along with its anti-inflammatory properties coming from the presence of resin, flavonoids, and procyanidins, the antiphlogistic effects of gallic acids, tannic acids, and proanthocyanidins help in reducing swelling, facilitating smooth passage of stools.
How to Use Witch Hazel for Hemorrhoid Treatment
Witch Hazel Concoction
- Grind the bark and leaves witch hazel.
- Mix them with water and strain.
- Apply the concoction with a clean cotton ball on the swollen region for 3 minutes.
- Repeat each time with a new cotton ball. Apply the mixture in the same way with another set of cotton balls 15 minutes after passing stools.
You need to follow the procedure for 2 to 3 days for effective results.
Diluted Witch Hazel
- Mix some water with pure witch hazel.
- Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply over the anal area.
- Do it two to three times a day.
Note: You can also use a toilet paper or baby wipe instead of a cotton ball to wipe the affected region. Although hemorrhoids can be treated with undiluted witch hazel as well, diluting it with water would be better to prevent burns.
Witch Hazel Tincture
A combination of witch hazel tincture and cocoa butter works well for internal hemorrhoids.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of witch hazel tincture and cocoa butter in a bowl.
- Wear a pair of plastic or rubber gloves and mold the mixture in the form of a bullet or oblong pill to make a suppository. (If you are unable to do so, then put the mixture into a plastic wrap and twist it in such a way that it acquires the desired shape)
- Keep the suppository in the freezer and take it out after 2 hours.
- Apply any good lubricating cream near the rectal region.
- Lie on one side with the upper leg bent and the lower leg straightened out.
- Lift the upper buttock and insert the suppository into the anus.
- Lie down in this position for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the remedy to work.
- Remove the gloves and properly wash your hands with soap.
Is it Safe to Apply Witch Hazel on Hemorrhoids
In some cases, the topical use of witch hazel, especially those preparations containing alcohol, has been linked to skin allergies. A patch test is therefore advisable before application.
Although it is a good herbal remedy for hemorrhoids in pregnant women, taking prior advice from a physician would be better to avoid any serious side effects.
Pre-made witch hazel pads, wipes, and suppositories could be availed from any pharmaceutical store. Also, there are several ointments having witch hazel as an active ingredient that can be applied to the anal region to get rid of hemorrhoids. However, it’s necessary to consult a doctor before using any of these herbal products.